[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation Re: Terrapreta Digest, Vol 15, Issue 14

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 02:18:56 CDT 2008

> Is it possible that teh original "Black Earth" was much more fertile and
> amenable to cropping than teh TM, and that teh People settled at teh Black
> Earth Sites, rather than at the TM sites? Then, if the Sanitation Hypothesis
> was at play, the Black Earth would be upgraded to Terra Preta los Indios?

I guess I can't answer this because I don't buy into the idea that there
were "naturally occurring" TP sites in Amazônia. I strongly believe what you
call the "sanitation hypothesis." It seems pretty obvious to me that the
process unfolded much as described by Nickalous and by Neves, et al.

That said, 1) the actual function of pottery in the soil is much more
important for understanding future applications than knowing why is got in
to the the Terra Preta de Indios sites and 2) the critically important
insight is that this was "municipal waste."