[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation Re: Terrapreta Digest, Vol 15, Issue 14

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Apr 8 08:11:55 CDT 2008

Terra Mulata is man-made also.`
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kevin Chisholm<mailto:kchisholm at ca.inter.net>
  To: Sean K. Barry<mailto:sean.barry at juno.com>
  Cc: lou gold<mailto:lou.gold at gmail.com> ; terrapreta at bioenergylists.org<mailto:terrapreta at bioenergylists.org>
  Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:30 AM
  Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation Re: Terrapreta Digest, Vol 15, Issue 14

  Dear Sean

  Sean K. Barry wrote:
  > Hi Kevin,
  >
  > I do not think there is any evidence that natural formations of Black
  > Earth formed in the tropical rainforest in Amazonia.

  There are claims of vast areas of Brazil being covered with "Black
  Earth". As Lou points out, significant areas of this "Black Earth" are
  not Terra Preta, but rather Terra Mulata. Some of these  "Black Earth"
  areas have been studied and have been shown to be Anthrosols. It is the
  general nature of Archeologists to spend their greatest effort in areas
  where they are finding items of Archeological significance. One does not
  expect to find the works of man within natural formations, and
  consequently, one would not expect Archeologists to study natural
  formations.
  > Too much rain and very low OM soils predominate the area.  Heavy
  > nutrient losses during flood season predominate.  That is the natural
  > state.

  True.
  > There were no reservoirs of "Black Earth" until people built them with
  > charcoal and wastes.

  Natural Black Earth is one thing. Fertile Terra Preta is another thing
  entirely. Indeed we have at least the following soil forms:
  * Natural Black Earth, relatively infertile.
  * Natural Black Earth, to which nutrients have been added, as a Farmer
  would fertilize a field.
  * Terra Preta, probably originating from Natural Black Earth, but to
  which was added relatively large volumes of charcoal, pottery shards,
  and nutrients, such that it could be considered a distinct soil form, of
  Anthropogenic origin.

  > Indiana in the temperate United States Upper Midwest is a very
  > different climate than Amazonia.  Soils do not freeze in Brazil like
  > they do in Indiana.  Soil rich in organic matter in Indiana were peat
  > bogs or swamp land.  There are few or no peat bogs or swamps in Amazonia.
  > Much more rain and much more water flow over the soil occurs in
  > Amazonia than in Indiana.

  Are you saying that Black Earth cannot form in Tropical Climates? Before
  you answer, read up on the formation of coal.

  > I do not think this is much other than strictly anthropogenic "Black
  > Earth" in Amazonia.  You do know that "Terra Preta" is Portuguese for
  > "Black Earth" right?  And, that Portuguese is the official language of
  > Brazil?  Well, just like AL Gore invented the Internet and called it
  > the World WIde Web, the Pre-Columbian people who now speak Portuguese
  > invented Terra Preta (aka Black Earth) on there soil in their
  > country.  I'm sure most all  of the "Black Earth" found there is
  > distinctly "Terra Preta" because it is almost for sure ALL synthetic.

  How can you be so certain that significant Black Earth and TM areas in
  Brazil were not naturally formed?

  > Without the aid of humans, that climate in the AMazon rainforest just
  > does not naturally produce black, carbon rich, OM rich, nutrient rich,
  > fertile soils.

  Terra Preta los Indios is indeed everything you say about it. That is a
  different matter altogether from a naturally formed Black Earth, that
  was not of Anthropogenic origin, and that was not enriched with nutrients.

  >   If it did, then the people would have found it that way when they
  > got there and not had to make any Terra Preta.  Nature would have been
  > there eons before them, making it for them.

  Nature was indeed there eons before Man, making Black Earth. However,
  because of lack of organic matter and nutrients, it would be expected to
  be not very good for growing crops. The basic Black Earth may well have
  been very amenable to conversion to a fertile soil, with the simple
  addition of nutrients as would be found in Night Soil.

  Best wishes,

  Kevin