[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 12:39:59 CDT 2008

the problem with rainforest soils as I have understood it is not that nutrients are not available but that they are transported by rainwater to the water table at least, leaving the surface depleted.  What is more, plant material is degraded at a very fast rate releasing that source of nutrients back to the water table.  The magic of terra preta is that it intercepts this cycle and holds nutrients at the surface available for cropping.  The most important aspect of terra preta is its powerful nutrient retention capability allowing success in adding even fish waste to the soil.  The archaeological data makes no mention of this, but I suspect that legumes were also grown heavily here besides maize and manioc.

Please read my blog postings on the making of terra preta with stone age technology to understand both the how and the natural restraints.

google arclein