[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 15, Issue 14

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Tue Apr 8 14:48:58 CDT 2008

Nikolaus,

I'm sure that what you are saying is true for village life - both
past and present.  But if the Amazonian valley 500 years ago, was as
well organized as for example to build straight roads connecting
villages into cities, then it was much more organized in other ways
too.  A heirarchal society - as it seems to have been as evidenced
from sophisticated ceremonial remnants still practised by a few
tribes in the Amazon - inevitably develops rules and regulations to
govern its people.  Thus it could well have developed rules for
sanitation, and where are we allowed to dump this?

I wouldn't want to argue that these peoples consciously developed a
system to improve soils.  But it's possible that, due to their
crowded conditions, they developed a disposal system which solved
both their sanitation (human excreta) and garbage (broken pottery
instead of plastic bottles and bags) headaches, and inadvertently
improved soil fertility.

Gerrit