[Terrapreta] Initial Photos from Terra Preta Trial

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 9 03:52:17 CDT 2008

Bear

I have conducted similar trials but in ground plots rather than in pots.
Best results gave pumpkin vines around 300% larger than the untreated soil,
but this was too dramatic to be acceptable - something else may have been
there - perhaps a cow peed first. Or I had a beer too many and added some
nitrogen. I've generally found that beer or wine are considerable aids to
most experiments.

Although I also seemed to get better seed germination from the plots with
char, I also take this with a degree of scepticism. The energy for
germination comes from within the seed - only meaningful addition is
moisture, as demonstrated by germinating seeds on wet tissue paper.

I've got a couple of trials still running, but to my thinking there are at
least three critical factors:

a) the size of the char particles, and
b) the time factor. I suspect that meaningful improvements will be more
evident in terms of years rather than weeks, and
c) both the percentage of char, and the depth in the soil profile

Sincerely
Max Henderson