[Terrapreta] sewage sludge charcoal

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 9 12:24:05 CDT 2008

Try googling "using sewage sludge fertilizer"

Farmers are becoming very leery of using sewage sludge.  You can
easily find hundreds of articles and many organizations questioning
the safety and proving the existence of toxins in sewage sludge.

Just for one example, try this article about a farmer who lost
hundreds of cows to the toxins in sewage sludge.  He has successfully
sued USDA.  "Questions Raised About Using Sewage as Fertilizer"

"In one case, according to test results provided to the AP, the level
of thallium — an element once used as rat poison — found in the milk
was 120 times the concentration allowed in drinking water by the
Environmental Protection Agency.

Judge Alaimo ordered the government to compensate dairy farmer Andy
McElmurray because 1,730 acres he wanted to plant in corn and cotton
to feed his herd was poisoned. The sludge contained levels of
arsenic, toxic heavy metals, and PCBs two to 2,500 times federal
health standards.

By Associated Press,  March 7, 2008    http://www2.nysun.com/article/
72525

Here's an article from University of Georgia researchers who
determined that 2 people died from the spreading of sewage sludge:

http://news.bio-medicine.org/biology-news-2/University-of-Georgia-
researchers-link-increased-risk-of-illness-to-sewage-sludge-used-as-
fertilizer-7106-1/

Unfortunately, as you will find on the web, these are not isolated
examples.  They are only the tip of the iceberg.

Personally, I won't touch this 'free fertilizer', even though I would
get paid to take it.

Gerrit