[Terrapreta] sewage sludge charcoal

Philip Small psmall2008 at landprofile.com
Wed Apr 9 14:30:27 CDT 2008

Tim Flannery has been encouraging folks to look at sludge as a feed stock
for char, but I think this may be the first.

Sludge is a high-N feedstock, and controlling potent N-derived GHG
production during pyrolysis of sludge is needed for flash carbonation to be
competitive.

Ash content is impressively high.  Kind of makes you wonder what's in it,
and how it differs from higher temperature sludge ash.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Michael Antal <mantal at hawaii.edu> wrote:

>  I am pleased and somewhat surprised to report that raw sewage sludge is a
> good feedstock for charcoal production.  Details are available on the HNEI
> website below.  Regards, Michael.
>

> Michael J. Antal, Jr.
>
> Coral Industries Distinguished Professor of Renewable Energy Resources
>
> Hawaii Natural Energy Institute
>
> POST 109, 1680 East-West Rd.
>
> Honolulu, HI 96822
>

> phone: 808/956-7267
>
> fax: 808/956-2336
>
> *www.hnei.hawaii.edu*

Land Profile, Inc. * PO Box 2175 * Spokane, WA 99210
509-844-2944 cell * 509-838-4996 fax * 509-838-9860 office
Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/philipsmall