[Terrapreta] Chacoal soaked in sea water

Green Waste Recycle Yard info at GreenWasteRecycleYard.com
Wed Apr 9 20:08:52 CDT 2008

Another caveat: combustion of salt-impregnated wood produces dioxin. Whether
"quenching"  hot char with seawater would do so, I have no idea, but should
be considered.

http://www.mfe.govt.nz/issues/hazardous/contaminated/dioxin-faq/

Bernie

  _____

From: terrapreta-bounces at bioenergylists.org
[mailto:terrapreta-bounces at bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of Richard Haard
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 9:01 PM
To: Bernie Lenhoff
Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Chacoal soaked in sea water

David and Sean

I would recommend some reading based on a search of sodium+soil+colloid+CEC.
This  <http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=931218> article is an
abstract of effects of winter road salt on soil colloids. The sodium in
seawater is a soil pollutant and I would recommend a different approach to
get minor and trace minerals onto charcoal.

An alternative is to use seaweed, or seaweed extracts. Some time ago I was
developing fertilizer and feed supplements from seaweed we cooked with a
steam jacketed cooker. The seaweed in your case could be cooked with surplus
heat when pyrolysing. The best seaweed to use are the brown seaweeds that
can be gathered as drift of harvested sustainably on rocky shores. Also
purchased as dried kelp. We used potassium carbonate as a cooking agent and
once the mixture of chopped seaweed brought to a boil release of the
colloids and minerals in cell contents is immediate.

>From there you will have an excellent extraction of sea minerals minus the
sodium. The living cell membrane does the selective extraction of minerals
from seawater.

Other references to check on this process are Lee Fryer, Food, Power from
the sea or Stephenson, Seaweed in agriculture and horticulture both books
explain how to make liquid seaweed extracts.
On Apr 5, 2008, at 7:50 PM, Sean K. Barry wrote:

Hi David,

I understand the value of sea minerals for plants.  Could soaking fresh
charcoal in sea water add too much salt and raise the pH even more, making
already alkaline charcoal more alkaline with the Sodium-Na+ ions?  As I
understand soil inundated in seawater is too alkaline to have an effective
CEC or to grow plants in well.  Can you do something to seawater used in
charcoal to change that?  Or will you only dilute the salty charcoal in a
large amount of soil?