[Terrapreta] sewage sludge charcoal

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 00:38:50 CDT 2008

On 10/04/2008, Gerald Van Koeverden <vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Try googling "using sewage sludge fertilizer"

 The USA has a real talent for polluting the planet.
A few Oz "googles" on the subject

Phosphorus Transfer in Runoff Following Application of Fertilizer, Manure,
> and Sewage SludgeThe results suggest there is a lower risk of P transfer
> in land runoff following application of sludge compared with other
> agricultural P amendments at similar P rates.
> http://jeq.scijournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/30/1/180

Perhaps something that could be reduced also  with charcoal ?

*The effect of sludges from two Adelaide sewage treatment plants on the
growth of and heavy metal concentrations in lettuce*
Monitoring of produce may be required if sludge is used at high rates in
intensive crop production on a similar soil.
http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/EA9780143.htm
Again could heavy metals be adsorbed by charcoal?

**
Utilization of sewage sludge on land : a bibliography of selected references
covering the period 1950 to 1977, prepared for the Water Research Centre
Conference held at Keble College, Oxford on April 10 to 13, 1978 / Water
Research Centre.http://nladom-test.nla.gov.au/anbd.bib-an1731751

* *
* on Saturday 18/03/00 Saturday *

*Wormfarm for Sydney's Sewage*

> *Alexandra de Blas: *Millions of new workers are about to join one of
> Australia's leading water utilities. Their job: to eat sewage.
>
> Worms have been used for waste management for some time, and they're
> particular popular in home composting systems. But an Australian company,
> called Vermitech, uses new engineering principles to run vermiculture on a
> large scale to deal with sewage sludge.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/earth/stories/s112647.htm

This was a AD 2,000 report. I have not heard of it since.