[Terrapreta] sewage sludge charcoal

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Thu Apr 10 15:52:18 CDT 2008

i'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but the high metal
concentration in sewage sludge out the end of treatment plant is
simply a matter of the total mass reduction and concentrating that
happens as the organic matter is filtered and disgested, and the
metals are not.

the mix of matter in sewage sludge is reduced to different degrees
during the various processes.  sewage treatment plants are very good
at reducing the organics through filtering and digestion, but much
less so for the metals.  somewhat like ash from many thermal processes
is high in metals.

many sewage treatment plants give tours.  i recently went through the
east bay municipal district waste water treatment plant in oakland
california.  it was a highly interesting tour.  i recommend it or
other similar ones to all.