[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 01:59:03 CDT 2008

Hi Jim

The real problem is going to be that at some point we will need hand labor. The first step is to simply lay in a crop of sweet corn which I suspect should be hand picked anyway.   We still need an acre or so.

The basic idea is to allow the stalks, once the ears are removed, to dry out for a week or so.  Then the hard part begins.  The stalks have to be pulled and I sure hope the soil is not high in clay.  The idea is to create bundles of stalks with the root ball attached.

These are then used to create an earthen kiln with the root balls acting as the outer wall, while the stalks are tight packed in the interior.  You can see that this is likely a couple of days hard work at least and I cannot think up any obvious way of getting a power assist just yet beyond using a cart or stone boat.

Where do you live?

arclein