[Terrapreta] scored

Jim Joyner jimstoy at dtccom.net
Fri Apr 11 11:33:59 CDT 2008

I just scored a ton of charcoal! It's all ground to a powder to pea
size. Just one little drawback: it has Jack Daniels whiskey in it.

They filter all the fresh made whiskey through sugar maple wood charcoal
(then it gets stored in charred white oak barrels). They wash the
charcoal with water to get as much of the alcohol out of it as they can.
They normally make charcoal briquettes out of the charcoal left over but
I convinced them they should give me a ton to experiment with.
(Actually, they charged me $30). So, now I have a ton of charcoal with
the very sweet smell of Jack Daniels.

The fellow who loaded my truck ask me, "whatcha gon with it?" I told him
and he grimaced. Said they used to mix the charcoal with wood chips and
apply it as mulch until they found that it "kilt all the shrubs".

So, I've got the charcoal setting out in the sun, evaporating the
alcohol out of it, hoping it be will be OK when I put it in the soil.
Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim