[Terrapreta] scored

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Fri Apr 11 16:19:15 CDT 2008

Geritt,

Silage is a fermentation employing bacterial fermentation that produces
lactic acid, not alcohol. The desired end result is silage that is
some-where between 3.8 and 4.2 pH. The Lactobacillus usually out-competes
everything as the environment gets anaerobic but there is often some acetic
acid created from stages in the process that are not stabilized. Either way,
the process terminates naturally when the pH gets low enough and then the
lactic acid acts as a preservative.

Mark