[Terrapreta] maybe controversial

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Apr 12 11:26:02 CDT 2008

Greg and list members:

   I am primarily involved actively in promoting biochar because of my conviction that we are facing a very dire future because of global warming.  I have come to this conclusion over many years - but find my best source of information on this from the writings of Jim Hansen.  He sent a citation for a new short piece out a few days ago:  http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/20080410_YankeeTicketPrices.pdf

    This is by far the most serious warning I have heard him make.  If anyone knows of a better authority on the subject than Jim Hansen, I hope they will let us know.

    In this latest "Yankees" writing, there is reference to another unpublished article (submitted to Science) that is the best single piece I have seen on the evidence for man's involvement.  I hope you will read especially this second one, which can be found at  http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.1126

and the Supporting Material is at:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.1135

    Jim mentions biochar there.  If you (or anyone) remain unconvinced, I hope you will let us know why.

    Apologies to all who think this is off target for this list.  I think we need to understand why some list members are disbelievers and do what we can to convert them.  If we do not have climate urgency going for us, the biochar topic will move much too slowly.

Ron