[Terrapreta] scored

David Yarrow dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Sat Apr 12 19:36:30 CDT 2008

you are about to discover the power of char to hold substances inside its
micropore matrix.  danny day showed this at EPRIDA trying to flush ammonium
nitrate out of biochar where it had been embedded by vapor deposition.  even
after a dozen washings, ammonium nitrate was still being tenaciously held
deep inside the char's micropore sponge -- slowly leaching out in each
successive rinsing.

ever try to wash a table with a sink sponge that someone has saturated with
liquid soap concentrate?  leaves behind a trail of streaks and bubbles.  and
then repeatedly wash and squeeze the sponge to rinse the soap out?

so, similarly -- worse, actually -- your free char is fully saturated with
alcohol and other highly concentrated -- and thus toxic -- residues of
whiskey making.  just the alcohol will do.  at parts per billion, alcohol is
high energy food for cellular fuel cycles.  at parts per thousand, it's
poisonous.

and it will take time and persistence to get those innermost pore spaces
flushed of their toxic excesses.  soaking, washing and rinsing will only get
you so far.  heating will help, but it will take sustained heating for a
long time with adequate air flow.

ultimately, you'll have to rely on microbes to get inside the micropores and
eat stuff up and transform it.  which means inoculation and rest time for
mold hyphae to grow and penetrate the char's micro-structure.  someone
suggested mycorrhyzae as a proven biotool for such a job, and widely
available for commercial purchase.

molds and fungi like warmer temperatures, but lying in direct sunlight is
likely too hot -- to far beyond their optimum 80-90 degrees.  good quality
compost, EM, BD preps, or compost tea are other possible inoculation
strategies.  instead of full sun, light shade under some trees seems a wiser
site to let your char sit and mellow out for a few weeks.  a thinner wider
bed will be more effective than a heap.

for a green & peaceful planet,
David Yarrow
44 Gilligan Rd, E Greenbush, NY 12061