[Terrapreta] Why is carbon black?

Brian Hans bhans at earthmimic.com
Sat Apr 12 19:47:37 CDT 2008

David Yarrow <dyarrow at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
  and while we are debating what is light, does anybody know why carbon is black?  except as diamonds.

  Graphite sorts of bonds have loose electrons and appears black.
  Amorphous carbon has so many loose electrons that is appears black.
  Diamonds have tight electrons and appears clear.
  I would imagine that if you could actually see a Carbon Nanotube, it would be clear. Tho there may be some formation of 'sloppy' tubes that might have loose electrons and thus would appear black.

  Carbon is turning into the new material for the 21'st century, IMO which could be called the 'carbon age'. TP, Carbon Nanotubes, CO2, energy carriers... Carbon is the new black!

  Brian