[Terrapreta] Why is carbon black?

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 22:27:59 CDT 2008

I did see a pic of carbon nanotubes.
They seemed black
Perhaps "Goggle Image search" could help here/

My Dad never forgave me for asking as a kid, "Why is the sky blue" and he
had no answer.
Now I have an answer I am not sure it is correct!

On 13/04/2008, Brian Hans <bhans at earthmimic.com> wrote:

> *David Yarrow <dyarrow at nycap.rr.com>* wrote:
>

> and while we are debating what is light, does anybody know why carbon is
> black?  except as diamonds.
>

> Graphite sorts of bonds have loose electrons and appears black.
> Amorphous carbon has so many loose electrons that is appears black.
> Diamonds have tight electrons and appears clear.
> I would imagine that if you could actually see a Carbon Nanotube, it would
> be clear. Tho there may be some formation of 'sloppy' tubes that might have
> loose electrons and thus would appear black.
>
> Carbon is turning into the new material for the 21'st century, IMO which
> could be called the 'carbon age'. TP, Carbon Nanotubes, CO2, energy
> carriers... Carbon is the new black!
>
> Brian

Michael the Archangel
What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!
how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how
express and admirable! in action how like an angel!