[Terrapreta] maybe controversial

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 05:43:21 CDT 2008

I first encountered James Hansen fifteen years ago. We were speaking at the
same National Wildlife Federation conference 15 years ago. I've got to admit
the I was wrapped up in my own save-the-forest work that I didn't pay much
attention. But I'm listening now. His truth and reputation are so powerful
that he has been able to stand firm against  the enormous forces that have
been arrayed against him.

In a famous example of religion and politics working together, Ghandi called
the force satyagraha. *Satya <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satya>* is the
Sanskrit word for "truth"; *agraha* means "firmness. The two words combined
may be rendered as "the firmness of truth."

Yes, we will need to have many previously antagonistic forces working
together in order to deal with the "inconvenient truth." They say necessity
is the mother of invention. A challenge of the magnitude of global warming
may force us to bury many hatchets. As I keep saying, this could be very
good.

But we should not be naive. It is also possible to go to war (many of them)
religion and politics may play a huge role. At present the performance is
mostly unproductive. I want to help change it to something more ... to
something (do I dare say it?) ... to something more audacious like hope.

hugs,  lou