[Terrapreta] Ponder the Maunder

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:27:14 CDT 2008

Jim,

I think that we mostly agree. Indeed, maybe even completely. Perhaps we just
have different roles to play -- mine is to help to mobilize political
support for a workable program and yours to check the facts to make sure
that the program works. In this sense of differing roles skepticism may help
you more than it helps me.

I keep repeating that I see the GW-TP link as an excellent way to mobilize
resources for improving soils whereas if GW is not a problem then it might
be politically more appropriate (as McCain is choosing) to focus on lowering
gasoline prices rather than improving the soil. Yep, I know that politics
gets weird and messy but that's how the choices are getting formulated.

BTW, Brazil just announced that it has discovered the third largest oil
reserve in the world and local rumor here is that they are close to
announcing the discovery of another one even five times larger. It's
expensive deep ocean drilling but it's there waiting for the price to be
right. Oil prices are going to continue to rise. Food is going to get more
and more expensive. And apetites for high protein food like meat are
developing in tandem with economic development.

There are  already food riots:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/business/worldbusiness/15food.html?ei=5087&em=&en=c404a9e3b6e51920&ex=1208404800&pagewanted=all

It's going to get worse. We can let lots of people die in the weaker
countries. We can go to war to try to curtail the more aggressive developing
countries. We can try to create a more abundant soil and agriculture to
benefit of the many. These are some of the broad policy choices that are
being thrust upon us. I believe that you and I would choose a more abundant
soil (if it works). I believe that we would do this because it seems like a
better world for the kids whose future we hold.

I believe that we are allies. I'm on the global warming train because I
believe that it is going to help both of us.

hugs,

lou

http://lougold.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/visionshare/sets