[Terrapreta] Carbon tax

Jim Joyner jimstoy at dtccom.net
Wed Apr 16 11:55:44 CDT 2008

If it weren't already obvious, I'm not keen on gov't solutions but, ya
know, there is a simpler way of doing this -- and, at least in US, could
have been done through equitable court action before all the states made
it illegal bring class actions suits for environmental issues. This is
before we institutionalized politics into the environment with the EPA.

There was a time in both statute and common law that if someone changed
(not unnecessarily damaged, just changed) my/our property or any those
common things we all need like air and water, I/we could bring suit to
have the change-or make things as they were -- regardless of damage.

For example, instead of jumping through all these hoops in making laws
that will create artificial markets, create bureaucracies and,
invariably, not treat someone fairly, just make the change-or correct
the changes made. Like, if you take some carbon out of the ground or
bring it into the country, you have to put it back in the ground (or pay
to do so).

One obvious industry to spring up over night would be the making of
charcoal that is to be buried. If it turns that TP can revolutionize
agriculture, so much the better. If not someone just has to pay to bury
it, period.

Yes, this will drive up the price of petro products, and only the most
valuable of those products will continue to be used. But, what is so
equitable about doing this (the way it was done for centuries in equity)
is that everyone is then paying (not subsidizing) the real cost of what
they are using, i.e., they are paying the cost to keep environment they
way it was. And, we won't be a the mercy of some beaucrat or regulatory
agency that is in businesses back pocket (I think they call them
"captured agencies -- like the FDA, FTC, SEC . . .)

Notice too, this completely avoids the issue and arguments about what
damage is being done to whom and even how it's being done. Whether GW is
anthropogenic is not longer an issue. It simply protects a long used
principle that each of us has the right to peaceful (none polluting) use
of our environment. (None of this should imply, however, that
environmental damage won't happen and shouldn't be cured.)

This may seem academic. Maybe it is because using such concepts as
inalienable rights seems pretty passe these days. It is also not likely
that bureaucracies will cede power to the courts voluntarily, but if
Legislatures were seized with real demand for such action, it would act
very much like a gigantic class action suit.

Might not seem like an easy thing to do, but neither will implementing a
carbon credits scheme -- which can have the unwholesome effect of
actually casing more carbon to be generated above ground so it can be
sequestered. That has happened with some other gases like freon.

Jut looking for a better way.

Jim