[Terrapreta] Carbon tax

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 18:46:18 CDT 2008

Interspaced in Blue.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Joyner" <jimstoy at dtccom.net>
To: "terra pretta group" <Terrapreta at bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 16:35
Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Carbon tax

> Sure, but these costs already exist. It's just instead of you the SUV
> driver paying for them, we hand the cost to the environment.

What makes you think that only SUV will be paying the bill - for that matter why only SUV's?    There are plenty of places were if your not driving a SUV in winter - your not going any place - including work.

> Sometimes
> it hard to calculate what these costs are monetarily but they are still
> there. In fact, the over all cost of getting the original vendor
> absorbing them is probably much less because it comes out of their
> pockets or reduces their markets, so they have every incentive to do
> this as efficiently as possible.

What law are you going to pass to ensure that it's absorbed by vendors?

I don't know if you recall, but when fuel prices first started to skyrocket, anyone that delivered for a living, tacked on a fuel surcharge - heck Pizza Hut still does it, to ensure that it's drivers make a base minimum per delivery to cover fuel cost.

> I mean, if someones livelihood or
> health (costs) is being destroyed half way round the world instead of
> the company paying the costs for their own products, what do they care?

It's more than that, but then again that's why countries sell carbon credits right - so they can absorb the pollution cost of someone else, to build up their infrastructure?

> I think that is the wrong question. What we want is system that get the
> best use out of any resource. The free market is the best at doing that.
> The problem is, companies get free rides either as legal monopolies or
> immunity from the protection the gov't should provide. That is the
> problem now: companies don't pay the real cost of producing their products.

What is the difference between a company that is a legal monopoly and one that managed to get there by being a tougher on the street?    Nothing I can see.

> I'm NOT talking about taxing anyone. I'm talking about doing what equity
> in law should do in the first place. If a company affects my property or
> space, they should make it right. If they don't, I (or the unaware,
> innocent bystander) pay the cost. I would like to see back door
> subsidies cease.

That's not a free market system.    Come to think of it, I don't think that it qualifies as anything except perhaps as some form of the " the ideal " communist system which is never actually achievable either.

> On the other hand, any form of tax credit system WILL be taxing, will be
> manipulating/distorting the market, but in a way the taxers and
> manipulators won't get the blame. SNIP

I'm not so sure of that either.    It sounds like what you want is an idealized  society, where everyone get's just their share and not one smidgen more - no mater how hard they work, or what talent they have.    If that is so, it's not going to work - there is not enough resources on this earth to achieve it, at a level that is on par with what we believe that a civilized society should be.