[Terrapreta] Earthen Kiln Conjecture

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Apr 16 19:48:48 CDT 2008

Dear Max

MFH wrote:
> Kevin
>
> My question wasn't clear enough - it was related to the size of the charcoal
> pieces rather than the pottery chards.

I'm sorry... your question was clear, but I misread it.
>  If, for example, the average char
> piece is less than 2mm diameter, then a whole new labour dimension is added.
> How were chunks of charcoal reduced to 2mm pieces, by multiples of tonnes,
> in the absence of iron or steel.?

That is an even more interesting question!! Char from wood would require
breaking to get it to below 2 mm. On the other hand, vegetative material
that decomposed anaerobically would tend to be weak enough that it would
fall apart easily, or be easily broken with handling or working of the
soil.
> Some may disagree, but I think its important to try and determine how the
> char was produced, broken up and distributed, in the substantial volumes and
> over the substantial areas that are now evident. In general, women
> contribute most of the labour in subsistence agriculture communities,
> including the majority of the work in planting, tending and harvesting of
> crops. Add this to their other motherhood and home tasks and the puzzle
> intensifies as to where the labour came from to produce and distribute such
> great quantities of char. Labour costs are likely to be a seriously limiting
> factor in producing large quantities of char today.

I think this is a good thought to pursue. It could lead to insights into
teh production of Anthropogenic Terra Preta.
> What can we learn from the Amazonians? It would be foolish to cast their
> techniques aside because "after all they were primitive peoples living a
> subsistence life".

They may have been primitive, but they certainly weren't stupid. Their
very survival depended on their observation skills, cleverness  and
practicality.

Best wishes,

Kevin