[Terrapreta] Fwd: A possable threat to Terra Preta

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 01:43:43 CDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Bailes <michaelangelica at gmail.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2008 16:39
Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] A possable threat to Terra Preta
To: AJH <list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk>

Thanks for that correction AJH

  Pesticide mainly consists of three categories: herbicide, insecticide and
bactericide. In China, the most general pesticide we currently use is
insecticide which occupies nearly 50% of the total use in pesticide. That
totally differs from the international situation that the herbicide's use
occupies 48% of the total and the insecticide 25%. With the
internationalization of the production and sales of pesticide and domestic
improvement on pesticide structure, herbicide will have more development
space and develop more rapidly.

*Pesticide Use Ratio in China*

**
 <http://www.researchinchina.com/report/UploadFiles_8547/200801/20080111163607754.gif>

Source: Rising Securities

*Pesticide Use Ratio in Foreign Countries*

**

<http://www.researchinchina.com/report/UploadFiles_8547/200801/20080111163618256.gif>
Source: Rising Securities

Glyphosate is a kind of highly effective broad spectrum herbicide with the
characteristics of broad spectrum, low toxicity and no residue. It is the
best selling herbicide around the world. No matter crop or weed, generally,
all green plants can be ruined after we spray Glyphosate over them.

Glyphosate is mainly sold to United States of America, European Union,
Argentina and other countries and areas. The consumption of Glyphosate in
big agricultural countries such as China and India is small and has huge
growth potential.

Glyphosate occupies more than 30% of the herbicide sales volume all around
the world and has the trend of continuous increase. Recently, the market
demand of Glyphosate increases rapidly, with the growth rate of
approximately 15-20% each year.

Due to the fast growth in the demand and the biggest Glyphosate manufacturer
of Mengshan shutting down part of the production capacity, Glyphosate is in
short supply. The price rises accordingly.

*China Glyphosate Price, June 2004-Oct 2007 (Yuan/ton)*

<http://www.researchinchina.com/report/UploadFiles_8547/200801/20080111163629128.gif>
Source: www.chinaccm.com

According to the data of National Bureau of Statistics, General
Administration of Customs, and related listed companies, this report makes a
research on the status quo, supply and demand, production technique as well
as key companies of China Glyphocate industries. It also contrasts the costs
of Glyphosate by different production technique and analyzes the fluctuation
risk of the raw materials made by different production lines.

[...]

http://www.researchinchina.com/Report/Agriculture/5290.html

Roundup biactive is said not to be toxic to frogs.
http://hypography.com/forums/biology/7831-frogs-amazing-12.html#post215838

Michael B

On 17/04/2008, AJH <list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:53:21 +1000, Michael Bailes wrote:
>

> >Round up (AKA Agent Orange)
>

> Roundup is the proprietary name Monsanto gave to the weedkiller they
> developed and is generically known as glyphosate, it is a systemic
> herbicide.
>
> Agent orange was a name given to the bulk chemical used to defoliate
> the DMZ in Vietnam, it was a relatively impure formulation of 245T a
> herbicide which mimics plant hormones in broadleaves and causes them
> to exhaust themselves by stimulating undue extensions. Although
> remaining available in UK 245t is no longer manufactured here to the
> best of my knowledge.
>
> AJH

Michael the Archangel
How strange and sad for the species - have people forgotten that they can
always escape to the fairy dell and talk to the ducks?
-Leunig, 2008