[Terrapreta] Promoting biochar in an era of high food prices

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Apr 17 07:39:36 CDT 2008

Michael and Michael:

    Today Michael B. said re the potential for biochar (after supporting its use for increased food production): "Yes not just productivity, but also the waste stream of our economies/societies being turned into energy/biofuel."

    I agree with his statement on this additional value, need and potential for biochar - but believe we have a bigger hurdle in pyrolyzing Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) than for any other form of biomass.  No one wants an incinerator near them.  I do not recall discussion on this list on this ''negative reaction'' topic.

    Mike Antal seems to have overcome this hurdle in at least Hawaii.   Mike (or anyone else) - can you tell us more of your experiences in this area?  Any statistics or data on why pyrolysis rather than land-filling is a good idea overall?

    For background purposes, I lived for several months in northern Sweden where one town (either Falun or Borlange) saved up (in plastic wrapped "bales") all its summertime (household and industrial both probably) refuse for combustion (not pyrolysis) for district heating during the winter.  There was mandatory separation and recycling of everything possible - and presumably looking  especially for anything hazardous.

    I can believe there are many European cities that are ready to try pyrolysis - but think it will have a tough path getting started in the US.  Anyone able to offer a more positive view?  I am looking for data to try to push the idea where we can.  Where MSW combustion is already occurring, switching to pyrolysis should not be that hard.

Ron

  MA/B