[Terrapreta] Earthen Kiln Conjecture

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Apr 17 09:37:03 CDT 2008

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Again with this post.  Whatever the Indios did to make charcoal out of
> whatever they used DOES NOT MATTER TODAY!  When are you going to grasp
> this?

You have no idea how TP was made, how it was used, how much was
Anthropogenic, what if anything was the purpose of the shards, whether
or not the Terra Preta Growing Paradigm is appropriate for temperate
climates, or whether it is an economically sound growing practise in
temperate climates,  and you seem to have lost sight of the fact that TP
was configured as part of a food supply system. When are you going to
grasp this?
>   Recommending to make charcoal in earthen kilns (in the open air)
> made from corn stalks is a bad idea.

Robert is not recommending to make charcoal in earthen kilns. He is
simply seeking to understand how the Anthropogenic Terra Preta was made
and used.  When are you going to grasp this?
>   There is no way to do this without massive releases of Methane-CH4,
> which has been discussed ad-nauseum with you as a significant
> potential problem with this plan.

What plan? Robert is not proposing to make charcoal and smoke out the
neighbourhood. When are you going to grasp this?
>   Also, just like there isn't enough corn grown in the world to make
> enough ethanol to supply the world's thirst for transportation fuel,
> there IS NOT ENOUGH CORN STALKS IN THE WORLD to make the amount of
> charcoal we need to form enough Terra Preta and/or make any kind of
> difference on agricultural food production or global climate mitigation.

Robert is not advocating making charcoal from corn stalks. When are you
going to grasp this?

> Move on.  Your past one idea (Earthen Kiln Conjecture) is too limited
> and problematic to be a solution or of any value to us, Robert.

2+2 = 5... Robert's answer could very well be correct. The problem is
that you are posing the wrong question. Terra Preta, as an agricultural
system in widespread use by the Brazilian Indians, was not configured as
a Carbon Sequestering procedure, or as a system for alleviating the
level of CO2 in the atmosphere of 2008. When are you going to grasp this?

> That's my opinion and widely held in this group, I think.

I would suggest that your views are widely held by a small faction more
interested in Climate Remediation than understanding and appreciating
the Real  Terra Preta for what it was, what it is, and what it can be.
When are you going to grasp this?

I would also suggest that your response to Robert's conjecture about a
portion of the TP puzzle is very unprofessional.

Kevin