[Terrapreta] Earthen Kilns Conjecture

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 17 18:45:18 CDT 2008

Interspaced in Black.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert Klein
  To: Greg and April
  Cc: terra pretta group
  Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 23:53
  Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Earthen Kilns Conjecture

  SNIP

  The charcoal volumes are too low to for this to hold.  The only reason they wold ever make chacoal as a separate product is as a convenient fuel, and even then it would likely be used for firing pottery.

  SNIP

  > Much more interesting however is the fact that this earthen kiln design willalso tend to capture a lot of the heavier volatiles in the earthen shell sothat we actually have a blend of combustion products mixed into the soil. This is not as specific as producing pure activated charcoal but I think thathaving a wide range of such molecules maximizes the possibility of results.

  The problem with the theory of earthen kilns, is that such earthen kilns would also fire them selves into a ceramic - yet no indication of such a structure has been found.    There is a man that builds ceramic structures, by building structures out of adobe bricks, then fires the entire building, making a monolithic ceramic structure.

  This is an important question.  Biochar temperatures are running at around 300 to 400 degrees for most of the stack.  high temperatures would only exist within the chimney were the earthen ware cap would also exist.  An important question is to determine the firing temperature of the so called pottery in the soils.