[Terrapreta] Earthen Kilns Conjecture

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Apr 17 19:43:31 CDT 2008

&#65279;  Photo E-mail   Play slideshow<http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LmPLmC9HXTY9LVsn5oiMLNcNwcDMLfTqK!jr1U4eR4u2wz5Ke9CZQgytaFgR9sNtSKEojX!9Mrqg%24%24> | Download images <http://photos.msn.com/viewing/Photos.aspx?pi_Type=SlideshowTask&Task=Download&stppData=&pi_ImagesOnly=1&Folder=nBuRgwTGIGhKPWRvXLqz1Py2D6UuzwW41k*GqdhubFs%24&User=LJjObqfwa76VXbJZQ0kB*qDjg1qzizFW&pi_NoLogin=1>
 <http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LmPLmC9HXTY9LVsn5oiMLNcNwcDMLfTqK!jr1U4eR4u2wz5Ke9CZQgytaFgR9sNtSKEojX!9Mrqg%24%24>

Hi Greg,

You can buy wood sticks at Home Depot called "Fat Wood".  When lit, it continues to burn like a candle for as least an hour, a 6" pencil-sized stick of it.  Its like a "punk".  THat's what we called the camel dung covered little stick that you used to light fire crackers when we were kids.  I suspect that the Indios knew about wood, fire, and that they new how to girdle and burn a huge tree down to the ground, from the bottom up.  There are no rocks, nor metal for tools in the rainforest.  But, there is wood for charcoal, wood for dugout (burned out) canoes.

I think you are right, Greg, that they had charcoal around them daily, and likely used it as a tool to a large extent, why not soil remediation in addition to cooking fuel?  The soil remediation use may have occurred to them after the beneficial effects of charcoal-in-soil had been observed in areas where they had charcoal sitting around on the ground for cooking.

Danny Day, from EPRIDA claims that they had a worker who observed large, wonderfully flavored, "beets" growing in charcoal piles left on soil down there in Georgia.