[Terrapreta] Terra Preta de Indio vs. Terra Preta Nova?

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Apr 17 23:18:47 CDT 2008

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Why don't you think about this in terms that will allow us to ALL
> promote the development of Terra Preta soils anew, "Terra Preta Nova"
> for our own reasons?  You can promote TP for agricultural purposes (I
> agree with his objective, BTW) and others who want to promote TP for
> other reasons, do not have to have those reasons downplayed by you.

Firstly, what is "Terra Preta Nova"? If we knew how "Terra Preta
Classic" was made, and where its use would be appropriate, and its
deficiencies, would it not be easier to compound a "Terra Preta Nova"
that was at least equal, and possibly superior to the original TP?

Charcoal dumped down a mineshaft is every bit as effective a carbon
sink, as would be carbon used to make "Terra Preta Nova" (TPN). However,
if TPN had a proven agricultural benefit, it would be easier to sell as
a carbon sink, than if it was simply "wasted by dumping down a mine
shaft." I would suggest that any work done to support the agricultural
use of charcoal would also be helpful in advancing the case for, and use
of charcoal for CO2 sequestration. There is no conflict, but rather a
complementary situation.

> Would that seem fair to you?  Or, are you hell bent on Terra Preta
> cannot be used for charcoal-in-soil carbon sequestration until it
> proves itself as an agricultural boon?

There is no question in my mind about the effectiveness of carbon in
soil as a sequestering method. My questions relate to the circumstances
where there is an additional agricultural benefit.
>   What is wrong with promoting both potential benefits of Terra Preta
> before either is realized?

At this stage, we cannot properly promote the use of charcoal in
agriculture, because we do not know where it is appropriate, and where
it is inappropriate. More specifically, what evidence or test reports
could we provide to a Farmer that would convince him to buy charcoal and
put it on his fields? Unless we have such reports and field trial
results, it will be difficult or impossible to get a Farmer to spend a
bunch of money on charcoal.
> Why do you require complete understanding of the historical
> underpinnings of TP in the Amazon to allow anyone else to make any
> kind of move on the development of TP without that complete understanding?

The Indians of Brazil have been doing TP for thousands of years. They
made mistakes and learned things, and evolved something that works. I
have great respect for things that are proven to work. Now, it might be
that through trial and error, perhaps over hundreds of years, they found
practices that are superior, and then finalized on them. On the other
hand, perhaps Classic TP Technology is trivially simple... merely dig up
some  black goop from a swamp, add night soil, and things will grow like
mad. On the other hand, perhaps teh pottery shards were buried in teh
jungle soil to pick up jungle organisms, to inocculate teh otherwise
unproductive natural black earths, and in combination with night soil as
the fertilizer or nutrient source, they would then get a wonderfully
productive soil.

I don't understand Biodynamic Gardening, and some of their practises
seem downright silly, when I attempt to fit them into my present
"Growing Paradigm", or understanding of what is necessary, and
unnecesary, for good growth. However, since they can get better results
than I can, they are right, and I am wrong. Perhaps the Brazilian
Indians of 4,000 years ago were teh original discoverers of Biodynamic
Gardening Practises? I don't know, but if there was something to suggest
that they were into Biodynamic Gardening, then other List Members who
are Biodynamic Gardening Practicioners, could explain TP very easily.

> I can certainly understand that there may be clues to be had about why
> the Indians made charcoal and how they developed the TP by studying
> the archaeology of TP in the Amazon. But, since they were not doing it
> to sequester billions of tons of carbon per year, or even attempted to
> do that, then why do we need to understand what they did with TP then,
> in order to want to use it for climate remediation now?

If we can understand how TP is made, and where TP has an agricultural
benefit, then this will make your job of promoting charcoal for CO2
sequestration much easier, and bring you success much quicker.

Best wishes,

Kevin