[Terrapreta] Charcoal sinks/ coppicing

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Apr 18 01:03:11 CDT 2008

Hi Michael,

Do you think Amazonians may have coppiced?

I'm not sure, but this is a very interesting topic and so is your question.  Maybe power plants should invest in coppiced plantations right near their power plants.  They could be mandated to fix as much carbon each year into charcoal for soil as they emit from their smokestacks.  It would be like geo-sized "CO2 scrubber" technology.  I think coppiced wood is an excellent feedstock for pyrolysis into charcoal.  The plantations could be sized to so the annual coppiced wood had as much carbon in the biomass, which is cut from the plantation, as was grown into the whole plantation in a year.  I think these kinds of coppiced plantations could then, given enough water and other nutrients, continue to produce charcoal in a very sustainable way for years and years.

Richard Haard has said some interesting things about coppiced woodland and he and Larry Williams have some sort of plantation, I think.
It is actually in my plans to build a "Clean Charcoal Kiln" and bring it out to them and have them start making charcoal from wood off their coppiced woodland.