[Terrapreta] Earthen Kiln Conjecture

David Hirst .com david at davidhirst.com
Fri Apr 18 02:53:11 CDT 2008

It occurs to me that our speculations, which I find fascinating and useful, do not
mention metals at all. When we contemplate earlier cultures, we often classify them by
their metal. Bronze Age, Iron Age etc.. The Stone Age was an earlier one, and was a broad
definition of the sorts of technologies used. And there is considerable evidence that
some of these technologies were traded quite widely. Flints mined in one part of England
are found over a much wider area. And precious metals, like gold, were highly valued, and
preserved.

Yet with the Terra Preta evidence, there seem to be almost no metals (or even stones).
That is, a culture seemingly living exclusively on the products of the forest and its
soils. Which leaves almost no conventional archaeological evidence.

Do we know of cultures today that can live in such a way? Axes and knives would be very
useful, highly valued, and so presumably, objects of trade.

A further rich vein of possible speculation, but I hope somebody can point to references
or evidence.

Regards

David

David Hirst