[Terrapreta] Promoting biochar in an era of high food prices

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 11:12:26 CDT 2008

Michael (with ccs):

    Thanks for this response below.  I take it to be cautiously optimistic on RDF.  (Is that term synonymous with MSW?)  Presumably your request for  "industrial support' means more operational units?  Or is this expressing a need for research?  And is this an EPA type of area?  DoE?  Which part of Federal or international governmental body should we be encouraging to get answers on RDF/MSW?

    Please also let us know the content of your upcoming AIChE paper on sewage sludge as soon as you can.  I know that a lot of sewage sludge is converted to methane in many municipalities - and a useful fertilizer product often obtained.  But if you or others have previously suggested that there are better economics and societal value in pyrolysis and soil-sequestration of this form of bio-char, I have missed it.  Around here, there is direct use (maybe no cleanup?) of the anaereobic biogas in engines for pumping and electrical generation.  Does your AIChE paper address the use of the off gasses?

    Thanks again for all the great work you are doing.

Ron