[Terrapreta] Carbon tax

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 18:10:27 CDT 2008

Interspaced in Blue.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Joyner
  To: Terra Preta
  Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 14:31
  Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Carbon tax

  Sure, if you can keep it within the context of what I said: "having equity in law is not a Utopian idea. It's a very venerable and practical one." And let me also point out . . .

  I don't think anything that we have will work.

      -
      Only if everyone is willing to play by the same rules.
  Equity (not equality, that is a civil concept which amounts to equal privilege before the law, maybe what you meant by communism) before the law is hardly a new idea. It goes back as least far as the Magna Charta as a legal concept. Hardly Utopian or "ideal".

  It still applies.    If everyone is willing to play by the same rules then it will work, but sooner or later someone will think that it doesn't apply to them, and they start bending the rules to fit their purposes - then more rules have to be made, then sooner or later equality issues rears it's ugly head.

  To really apply "Equity", emotion and the effects it contributes to has to be removed totally and completely from the picture.

  To some extent truth in it's most naked form ( pure raw fact ), would have to be used, because as long as it's tainted by any bias ( as mentioned previously emotion ) , misunderstanding, misrepresentation, misdirection, greed, or any other form of manipulation, equity ceases to exist.

  And given that because man is human, and does make mistakes and is subject to the issues above, it will ever be a dreamed about concept, that will never be truly achieved in this age.

        The first time someone doesn't, practicality goes out the window - and most of the time the rules of equity in law follow soon after.

        After all isn't that what happened in the Garden of Eden?
  No. Bad analogy. That was a dictatorship. The concept (rules?) of equity in common law essentially followed from the Golden Rule. Not hard to understand nor to agree upon. Everybody at some level understands it regardless of whether or not they use it.

  I'm not talking of the eviction notice.    I'm talking of the events leading up to it.    I'm not going to delve into a religuse debate, but there was only 1 rule that adem and eve had to follow and satin used guile and flatery ( emotions ) to convince eve that she should break it.
  Even then, once the rule had been broken, equity was applied - God could have smite them down and started over, but he didn't, he applied the law without favoritism - the law being that they had to leave, and had to work their butt off to survive.

          Not everyone has the same idea / believe of what equal is.
  Wasn't talking about equality.

  Unfortunately it still comes down to what people believe is and is not equal - because if they don't believe it is equal, they will not believe that a law was applied with freedom from bias, then they start applying all the factors they can in order to make it " equal "  in their eye's.

  Greg H.