[Terrapreta] Carbon tax

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 19:26:48 CDT 2008

Ok, let's take this from another angle.

Merriam - Webster defines Equity as " justice according to natural law or right; specifically : freedom from bias or favoritism " ok?

So what happens when someone perceives justice as not being free from bias or favoritism?

Do you see what I have been trying to say, about everyone has to perceive it ( a law or the courts ) as being equal, and how the only way to have 'Equity', is if everyone is willing to play by the same rules?

In order for it to work, people have to believe it does - when they stop believing that there is equity, the process breaks down.

Let me see if I can break it down a little more.

A Law Enforcement Officer ( LEO ) arrests someone for a crime - there are no other witnesses, the only proof being the LEO's word.
In theory the person arrested is innocent, until proven guilty, and in theory in order for a guilty verdict, the law must show proof beyond shadow of a doubt.

In reality when it comes to the word of someone being arrested against that of a LEO, the court tends to take sides with the LEO ( showing bias ), because there must be some reason that the LEO arrested them and ( for good or ill ) the LEO is believed to be already applied Equity - that is, doing their job with no bias or favoritism being involved.

I'm really trying to show how bias unintentionally ( and sometimes intentionally ) occurs, and in doing so breaks the belief that courts & laws can be equitable ( as defined by M-W ).

If people can't believe that laws and their custodians ( courts, law enforcement,  ect ) can be equitable, what is going to happen?

Remember "fair" is a synonym of equitable, and dispassionate is synonym of fair - thus my talk about truth in it's most naked form needing to be free of many things, **including emotion**.

Now does it start to make sense?

Greg H.