[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Specifications

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Fri Apr 18 21:25:15 CDT 2008

Dear Sean

So that we are all on the same page, could you kindly define or describe
"Terra Preta Nova"?

Could you provide a "Recipe", or a "Specification" so that if we, in
various parts of the world made some, we would have a product that would
be comparable?

With all that has been written, I still don't know what Terra Preta is,
other than the trivial description of "Black earth with pottery shards."
Could you, or anyone on the List provide a similar "Recipe" or
"Specification" for "Old Terra Preta"? Perhaps there is a URL with
sufficient detail such that one could make a batch of Terra Preta from it.

You suggest making a lot of charcoal and putting it into lots of soil
now.What would you recommend as the addition rate, for example, in
pounds per square foot, or kG per square meter, etc? Is there anything
else that should be added along with teh charcoal?

Thanks very much,

Kevin