[Terrapreta] Carbon tax

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 19 09:16:50 CDT 2008

On 19-Apr-08, at 9:57 AM, Jim Joyner wrote:

> I grew up in south and west Texas. Early on, under the Carter
> administration the processing sheds and a few large citrus farms we
> bought. The USDA created a market order that forced all citrus
> farmers to process their fruit through the sheds and receive what
> the sheds paid. Well, the same companies that owned the sheds then
> sold to themselves from the farms they owned. They established the
> "market price" essentially at their cost -- thus operating the
> farms at break even, making their profits in the sheds. Of course,
> this made it impossible for the independent farmers to make a
> profit.  The farmers were left with two choices: sell their land to
> the AG companies or to housing developers. But there are virtually
> no farmers there any more.

The same trends are evident in Canada.  For an overview on the
difference between what a Canadian farmer gets for his produce and
what it is retailed for, check out the 2006 update on what started as
a local member of parliament's study "Compare the share."  The only
agricultural commodities where farmers can get a reliable return is
for those that have earned political rights to organize into national
farm marketing agencies: eggs, broilers and dairy.

http://www.stpeterscollege.ca/crse/pdf/compare_the_share.pdf

gerrit