[Terrapreta] Earthen Kilns Conjecture

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 19 09:26:39 CDT 2008

Just a second.

While wholesale logging of healthy old growth trees is a real bad idea, the logging of diseased trees, and areas that are over grown ( like with a lot of spindly that are not growing well ) can only help the forest.

For those of you that see this as a CO2 issue, there is also this to keep in mind, young trees ( especially in early stages of succession ), grow many times faster than older trees, taking up CO2 faster than an older tree of the same total mass.

So in a sense, selective use of logging can not only promote a healthier forest, it can take up CO2 faster in some cases.

Greg H.