[Terrapreta] scramble or blueprint

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sat Apr 19 14:25:53 CDT 2008

Dear Lou

These Scenario package ASSUME that we are entering a period of Climate
Change that the Actions of Man are able to change.
If there was Global Warming, and if it was indeed caused by Man, Science
should be able prove it. As it stands now, the best teh IPCC could do
was credit a decision to "consensus science." The phrase "consensus
science" is an admission that the decision is not based on science, but
rather, on opinion. Going by the opinion of the majority can have
serious consequences. "A million lemmings can't be wrong."

We are asked to "believe" in Anthropogenic Global Warming. If there was
adequate science, truth, and fact, we would not have to "make the big
leap and believe it to be so." The evidence would speak for itself.

At this point in time we have two options:
1: To do nothing
and
2: To do something

The Shell Study examines two possible action scenarios from the second
option only. The best we can say about the Shell Study is that it is
interesting but incomplete.

Is not the purpose of the Terra Preta List to seek an understanding of
the use of charcoal in Agriculture? Can we focus on learning more about
TP, rather than diffusing our efforts with climate change issues? There
are many venues where GW can be discussed, but few where TP can be
discussed. It is patently obvious that if you bury carbon in the ground,
you will sequester carbon. There is no need to discuss that any more, in
that the case is already proven.

I would suggest that when on the TP List, we should focus on answering
the basic question:
 "How can char additions to the soil help a Farmer make more money?"

Does that make sense for the TP List?

Best wishes,

Kevin