[Terrapreta] Forestland management

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 19 18:31:37 CDT 2008

YES!

Absolutely positively no doubt at all.

To a degree it's already been done with the practice of coppice in the United Kingdom, only there it is more like a field of crops ( and some of the trees are more than 200 yrs old ).    When you down to it, an entire ecological base has established under the coppice system, with plants that require more light moving in right after the trees have been coppiced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppice

I'm not saying that we should treat all our forests to coppice management - just that there is some evidence already that the a similar management system ( of cutting down and letting regrowth take it's place ) can work.    Indeed some areas it may work to put in permanent short term coppice with fast growing native species like aspen, cottonwood, and popular.

While I do not have land YET, I promise you this, when I do, it's a system of coppice that I'm going to use, to develop it, and provide fuel for my farm ( and Terra Preta to improve it's soil ) becoming as self sustaining as possable!

I really can not stress my belief in this any stronger.

Greg H.