[Terrapreta] Forestland management

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Apr 19 19:21:48 CDT 2008

Hi Greg,

What if you put charcoal into that soil (lots of it, like a big investment worth) before you planted the coppice plantation?  Then, every time you coppice, you put in not just more sunlight, but more plant nutrients (just the ones Salix need) and more water, too.  You could even put grow flood lights on it at night during the summer (powered from solar cell renewable energy, of course).  This could boost those coppice plantation yields up in a big way, right?  Now, harvest the woody biomass (coppice), make charcoal, harvest some bio-energy, and sell all of that which you you can.  This is an energy crop, grown with high yields, boosted by the use of Terra Preta technology and designed to build more raw material for TP soils (a "carbon negative" activity) along with harvesting "carbon neutral" bio-energy.  At re-plantings (if these occur?) and/or new plantings, charcoal could further be invested into the soil ahead of the plantings, to insure higher yields over the "coppiced" life of that plantation.

If the "coppiced" crops have any annual leaf fall and it is onto TP-like soils, then perhaps these plantations, because of the large carbon investment in them, will soon be able to hold of the nutrients that you apply (by digesting it from the fallen leaves) and you will be able to apply less nutrients in the future.  You'd need to only apply the nutrients you took of in the coppiced product.

If you do what you propose, then you may not know how much you will benefit the fight against GW and GCC.  I would like to do something like this to also, someday, maybe in collaboration with someone else who is "hands-on" experienced with "coppiced" forest land management practices.