[Terrapreta] Why Bother?

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 13:56:20 CDT 2008

Thank you Peter for pointing directly at THE critical problem.

Now we have Michael Pollan saying that the most meaningful people can do is
plant a garden. And we have James Hansen saying that the most meaningful
proactive carbon negative strategy is to revise agriculture and forestry for
carbon sequestration in the soils. BUT there is no mechanism for connecting
the dots and mobilizing the massive program that is now necessary. You are
quite correct in asserting that this will not be achieved by gardeners who
might want to make their own charcoal. But they are potentially a huge
constituency of active participants, provided that there is a ready supply
of horticultural charcoal.

This is precisely where government can (and probably will) enter the
picture. Either through carbon credits or through public appropriations, we
can subsidize the production of biorchar. Oooops, did I say the bad 'S' word
-- subsidize? The fact is that EVERYTHING of scale that we do in the modern
world is based somewhere or somehow on a public subsidy -- it may be a
tax-break, a certification, an allowance, an appropriation or a qualitfying
law -- but there is NOTHING that functions nowadays on a large scale without
public support. Now we need support for charcoal. And that is why it's
important to talk about all these other things -- we are mobilizing the will
and the mechanisms for putting charcoal into the soil.

Thank you so much for placing the spotlight on the right place.

hugs and blessings,

lou

--
http://lougold.blogspot.com