[Terrapreta] Coal as a soil additive

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Mon Apr 21 19:49:57 CDT 2008

So who's advocating anything? The point was that anthracite is an
EPA-approved drinking water filtration substrate in wide use. It's not
likely to harm the soil web.

Power plants burn thousands of tons of coal a day. Mercury is emitted. As it
is during the combustion of many organic materials that come from soils high
in undesirable metals, including trees.

Presumably, no one is going to dig coal out of the ground only to turn
around and bury it (are they?). What proof do we have that massive wood
pyrolysis projects would not be a source of significant mercury and other
toxic metals releases? Show me the numbers, please.

Mark