[Terrapreta] Why Bother? Attention Gregandapril

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 01:11:06 CDT 2008

*Last para of why Bother
*

*BTW Thanks for posting this.*

*But there are sweeter* reasons to plant that garden, to bother. At least in
this one corner of your yard and life, you will have begun to heal the split
between what you think and what you do, to commingle your identities as
consumer and producer and citizen.

Chances are, your garden will re-engage you with your neighbors, for you
will have produce to give away and the need to borrow their tools.

You will have reduced the power of the cheap-energy mind by personally
overcoming its most debilitating weakness: its helplessness and the fact
that it can't do much of anything that doesn't involve division or
subtraction.

The garden's season-long transit from seed to ripe fruit — *will you get a
load of that zucchini?!* — suggests that the operations of addition and
multiplication still obtain, that the abundance of nature is not exhausted.

The single greatest lesson the garden teaches is that our relationship to
the planet need not be zero-sum, and that as long as the sun still shines
and people still can plan and plant, think and do, we can, if we bother to
try, find ways to provide for ourselves without diminishing the world.

Michael Pollan, a contributing writer for the magazine, is the author, most
recently, of "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto."

I would like to see gardening taught in every school in Australia.

at the moment it is probably 1 in a 1,000

--
Michael the Archangel
How strange and sad for the species - have people forgotten that they can