[Terrapreta] Food Shortages

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 04:31:29 CDT 2008

I'll begin with a friendly note to Kevin...

WARNING: These links may be a major diversion from your primary tasks.
If you want to hold your focus, don't go there.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article3782.html
http://business.theage.com.au/japans-hunger-becomes-a-dire-warning-for-other-nations/20080420-27ey.html
http://nysun.com/news/food-rationing-confronts-breadbasket-world

Food rationing of some sort is coming. I am old enough to remember
the last time food was rationed in the US -- during WWII. I was too young
(4-9 years) to understand much but here are a few things that I remember.

There were shortages but no hunger.

There was massive education to explain the relationship between
food and the war needs. We actually did little "morality plays" about
it in elementary school.

In Chicago where I lived there was a neighborhood "Victory Garden"
on every block that had an empty lot or a bit of free space.

Government was ever-present and was largely perceived as an instrument
of a public will that wanted to win the war.

Nowadays and thinking of the future that is arriving as I write, can you
imagine
yummy soil amendments being delivered to the neighborhoods? etc? and etc?
Like the old Indian Elder said, "It could be a very good time."

--
http://lougold.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/visionshare/sets