[Terrapreta] Food Shortages

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 07:57:13 CDT 2008

The Japanese have only themselves to blame.
For years they have put up beurocartic trade barriers to rice and other food
from Australia.
plus their multi-level market ( Perhaps 10 middlemen) makes everything food
wise 100 times dearer than it should be.

there is ashortage of mild in Australi due to a10 year re-structuring
progarmme which forced produces to get bigger or get out. About 30% got out
Report on this here
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/
Now we find we have a shortage. The worst and longest drought in history and
rising fuel charges and rising government taxes on fuel has not helped.

Interesting Landmine ( http://www.abc.net.au/landline/) looked at
commodities that had increased in value. Corn ,The* "evil' ethanol producer*"
had risen the least. With rice and wheat all up there. Almost no rice was
produced in Southern Australia this year. Unfortunately I can't find the
graph to post here.
Ethanol is made with sugar cane in Australia althoug there is a plan for a
sorgum plant. Pity I think that using food for ethanol production is
unfortunate. Pyrolysis of societies' waste could give us so much.

With corn can someone tell me if it is the corn kernel that is used to
produce ethanol or just the husk? Or is there a special variety (non
eating?) that is grown?

All these problems as you suggest can be ameliorated by widespread adoption
of TP farming and gardening. I have been at this for over 2 years and I just
feel I am battering my head against a brick wall of ignorance and
insouciance .