[Terrapreta] evil ethanol

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Apr 22 21:42:46 CDT 2008

Hi Max,

I heat my house with an outside wood burning furnace.  It heats water that is pumped inside past a heat exchanger.  I have had this furnace outside for 6 years.  I live in Minnesota, USA.  It gets down to -30F here once in a while and always below 0F for long periods during the winter.

My house is 4200 sq feet, a log house built with solid oak logs.  The logs came from Missouri, USA.  I have burned 10-12 full cords every winter since I have had the stove.  I get one/two loads, 40 foot trailers with 10-11 full 4' x 4' x 8' cords on it.  I buy the wood as 8' logs, sometimes up to 20" diameter.  I started out paying $52 US per cord.  They are shipped about 50 miles, I think, from Siren, Wisconsin (a little town in the state next door).  This past year I paid $75/cord.

You can pay $130 for a face cord.  It will be cut, split and stacked in your driveway for that.  That is the price difference. The labor to prepare the wood for use.  It takes me and my 17 year old son about 6 weekends, working all weekend