[Terrapreta] Earthen Kiln Conjecture

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 02:31:50 CDT 2008

You are right of course. What i did take seriously was that the time requirement was very serious and it would require a major pay off for it to be encouraged.  The  Indians in the north west  here dropped trees with the use of a wonderful back adze that may never have been replicated elsewhere and should have been efficient enough to take a tree down quickly.

It is still a tall order to generate the many necessary tons of biomass this way.  It was apparently pretty tough with steel tools also if the descriptions of charcoal making mean much.  It is also no walk in the park with chainsaws and hauling equipment to pull together the tonnage needed.

The earthen Kiln has the immediate advantage of simply redirecting the workload already necessary for corn.  There is little new investment, whereas cutting wood and producing char(coal) is a massive new investment.