[Terrapreta] Ice-age anyone? and Inertia

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Apr 25 02:33:40 CDT 2008

Hi TP readers,

In the famous words of Oliver Cromwell, "I beseech you, in the bowels of
Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken."

Phil Chapman is a geophysicist and astronautical engineer who lives in San
Francisco. He was the first Australian to become a NASA astronaut.

That's quite a quote.  It gave me the most pause.  Did you go to the site with Phil's paper and read the Gabrielli paper referenced at the bottom?  Gabrielli threw in the radiological evidence of space bourne iridium and platinum in the Greenland Ice sheet as having been the cause of the previous cooling into last Ice Age.
Meteoric smoke fallout over the Holocene epoch revealed by iridium and platinum in Greenland ice
Paolo Gabrielli1<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v432/n7020/pdf/nature03137.pdf#a1>,2<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v432/n7020/pdf/nature03137.pdf#a2>,

So is it a crap shoot, then ?  No pattern?  No trends?  It's a chaotic system to be sure, but most of the time (on human time scales) inertia rules, I think.  It does at least by the human standard of one lifetime of observances.  So, like a surfer or a career person, the easiest way is to go with the flow.  Observe the flow first, then go.  It is always easy to wonder about "What ifs?" that would throw a wrench into the inertia, (the easier more obvious way to go).  The wondering gets especially varied and easy, too, when we consider low probability stuff (if we get beyond 1 in 500 or so?).  The thing about inertia is that it is mostly unobservable, until something attempts to operate against it.  Or, if you consider observing long term, current trends, then the inertia is obvious.

I think that if you carefully observe the trends in many of the atmospheric and climate variables, you can see accelerating changes (e.g. GHG concentrations rising faster than last year [which was faster than the year before that], average temperature increases [11 of the last 13 years were record global average annual temp increases], stronger storm records [unprecedented back-to-back, level-5 hurricanes in one year and hurricanes in northern latitudes], and more Arctic sea ice loss this year than last year (which was more than the year before that).

These kinds of accelerating changes in the variables have inertia, too.  I have some analogies to express how I think spurious "What ifs?" can effect the inertia of observable prominent accelerations.

1) While you stoke the train boiler full of coal, running downhill, what if a fox runs across the tracks?  Tap the brakes and/or blow the whistle?

2) Back to the surfer analogy...  You see the tight curl of the wave closing on your right, in front of you, AND you see the beach to your left, with the shelf just underneath your surfboard?  What if a starfish blasts out of the water near your right eye?  Do you dive left?!

3) What if the older bullies surround you and are pushing the merri-go-round you are riding faster and faster?  When and where do you jump off before you get hurt?

I would try to observe carefully the inertial status of current environment viewed over some time frame to the recent past, say a decade, or a lifetime, a century, or whatever.  Based on what I observe is in stasis over that time and the characteristics of the observable changes during that time (pronounced recurring gains, prolonged duration, etc), then I would decide, also expecting the inertial effects.

The way things are, the way things go, which have observably large inertia behind them ARE THE MOST LIKELY to be playing out next.  This is usually pretty obvious, whether people know or can observe it, or not.