[Terrapreta] Terra Carbona and Bring Biochar to the Market

chris braun brauncch at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 17:47:31 CDT 2008

Dear all,

Tom, thanks a lot for your posting and your enthusiasm ! Yes, people
from this group can definitely help developing the Terracarbona
project !

Actually, there are several "sub-projects" involving biochar I am
trying to set up which I all see as complementary and which all aim at
diffusing the biochar concept and at gathering data, feedbacks and
experience from biochar field and pot trials being conducted all over
the world, in order to gain more knowledge and even improve the whole
process.
And eventually, my "long-term" goal, which explains my interest in
biochar, is to improve the soil fertility in developing countries,
especially in Africa, with methods that are at the same time easily
applicable, low (or even no) cost and of course clean and respectful
to the environment. I think this has a wonderful potential to mitigate
both poverty and climate change and I will find no peace in my heart
until everything has been tried to reach these goals.

So in the following I will briefly describe the projects I am
currently involved in and I will then add a few words on what you,
i.e. anyone interested in biochar and willing to help, can concretely
do to contribute to them. And then it will be up to you to come from
the theory to the practice  !

---------------------
1. CharDB
  Please read the very recent posting on that:
004605.html

What you can do:
The success in this project highly depends on the amount of people
registering data on the website and giving feedback to improve it, so
I am really looking for people who conduct trials and who could send
me their data and/or also people who could just try the functions of
the website and give me their comments. Also the CharML format may be
improved to better characterize biochar experiments...

---------------------
2. Biochar Trials Portal
The idea here is to able, not only to find but also to see easily the
biochar trials being conducted all over the world, ordered by
locations. So the way it works is similar to CharDB, I try to attract
people who conduct "serious" biochar field tests to the website and to
collect pictures and descriptions of their experiments.

What you can do:
As you can see on the website there is MUCH to add here ! So if you
make tests, please participate ! If you don't make tests yourself but
have heard of people who conduct interesting experiments, send them
the link for the website http://terracarbona.com/ or send me their
mail so that I can contact them !

---------------------
3. Charcoalab
This project performed a few months ago, which involved school pupils
in New Zealand performing small biochar pot trials was very exciting !
For the moment we are still thinking about it, but there may soon be a
following story, so you can keep an eye on it !

What you can do:
Just be patient and wait for a new posting on this topic :-)

---------------------
4. Future work
The next thing I would like to do is to propose a panel of "good"
methods for people who want to produce biochar themselves in a way
which is efficient and respects the environment, at different scales
so that one can choose what best suits to his needs.
For instance, the first methods I will propose are the following ones:
- micro-scale: the cook stove "Flanastove" developed by Robert
Flanagan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5OAkmum7gU
- middle-scale: the pyrolyzer "Pyro" developed by Pro-Natura
International: http://pronatura.org/?lang=en&page=climate#clim1

What you can do:
I know there are thousands of methods for producing charcoal but you
can send me the links and infos for the ones you really think are
worth considering... Better would actually be comparisons between such
technologies, but that I have hardly seen so far...

Now you have the choice ! And don't hesitate to write me if you have
any further question or comment,

Sincerely yours,
Christelle
http://terracarbona.com