[Terrapreta] FW: Simple charcoal kiln

andrew list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 13:09:21 CDT 2008

On Sunday 27 April 2008 00:32, Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Folke Gunthur does see and view many things about this issue very
> astutely and correctly, in my opinion.  However, "simple"
> "charcoal-in-a-barrel" kilns (or retorts), whatever whoever wants
> to call them, are not a great idea.

It looked like he'd struck the ball spot on to me, he was using dry
wood, they looked like offcuts which may have just been left to rot
or put on a bonfire. There was little evidence of smoke and we know
that offgas from dry wood can be flared cleanly. The final product
was what was desired despite no temperature control and the only
obvious scope for improvenet in a simple system is to utilise the
waste heat in some way, such as was discussed in the farm scale
carboniser thread.

>Tom Wrote:  Note that the original posting was from Folke Gunther.
>Erin just
> rescued it from a filter that thought it was SPAM.

I guess shooting the messenger is about par for the level of
comprehension, mind why the spam filter trapped a concise an
informative post but let's through the all the repetitive verbiage I
see needs addressing ;-)

AJH