[Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 27 17:43:12 CDT 2008

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for this post confirming my admonition against attempting Terra Preta Nova with millions or billions of simple "charcoal-in-a-barrel" kilns.  We cannot use stone age methods to solve this very modern day set of problems.  Rising concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere hold enormous numbers of tons of carbon.  No less than some trilllions of tons of CO2 have been produces by humankind and introduced into the atmosphere that had not seen this kind of influx in hundreds of millions of years.  We could NEVER change that using barrel size kilns that make 1 kg a day (and probably release 2-5kg a day of carbon).  We can't use only WOOD!  Wood fixes carbon longer than many other forms of biomass.

1) Feed the world by improving soil fertility

2) Reduce GHG concentrations in the atmosphere

3) Supply the worlds energy demand when fossil fuels are dwindling into expensive and rare commodities.

This WILL NOT happen with barrel sized charcoal kilns that lose more then they extract from biomass sources.  Even when we develop ways to make charcoal cleanly and harvest bio-energy and biochemical feedstocks, then we will still not SOLVE any of these problems completely.
I do not think that the scope of the undertaking we propose is well understood by most.

Here is a common engineer's explanation to requesters,  "Good, fast, or cheap?  Pick TWO."